Reserve Stabilization

Two important points to keep in mind.

1. It’s likely that most people that bought only FEI have already sold all of their tribe. What returns they’ve had on their tribe varies with the market at the moment they sold, of course. But even if they sell now, near an all time low at 1.41$, they’ll be getting around 10% of the dollar amount of the ETH they invested. I’m getting this number from the following calculation:

(1/(640,000*2052))100,000,0001.41 = 0.1073647661

What this says is that for every 1 dollar in ETH invested, out of all the 640,000 ETH at 2052 dollars, each investor got the prorata share of 100,000,000 TRIBE, each of which now they can sell at $1.41 for a 10 cent return. In fact, it’s closer to 11 cents than to 10 cents. Again, keep in mind that most people that sold TRIBE sold tribe considerably above $1.41 and so earned more than 10 cents for each dollar they put into genesis.

If my calculation is mistaken, please correct me.

All this said, as long as we pay $1 to any FEI holder that was just here for the airdrop, we’ll be actualizing their unreasonable fantasy of making a quick 10% on their investment. Of course, some of them will have made as much as 25% on their investment. Even if we pay $0.9, those that are worst off will break even and those that are luckier might make as much as a 15% return. All within a week, as a reward for viciously spreading misinformation and threats all over the internet.

Many people are saying that $1 is the only noble option. But consider the numbers above before you jump to that conclusion. And please wonder who their returns are being taken from.

(Sure, they bought at $1.01 so perhaps the numbers are more like 9% or 24%, but the difference is not significant.)

1. “When they go low we go high.” That’s the sentiment that this proposal is infused with.

I can’t begin to imagine how Joey must be feeling at the moment. A precocious entrepreneur right out of college had an extremely attractive and bold idea. What’s more, he had the courage to put his name and his face on it. I will forever admire him for doing so in a space where it’s common practice to act anonymously in order to avoid the worst parts of the web. And no matter what happens with FEI, I will reserve a good dose of envy that he’s achieved this much this early. All of this might sound hyperbolic. But what can I do? No measured statement would make it through the vitriol that’s pervaded twitter and some corners of this forum.

I think it’s noble of the team to put this proposal up for a vote. All I have to say is that when each of us makes the decision on how to vote on Saturday, we should keep in mind the way in which many of the most vocal supporters of a FEI exit have taken advantage of everything I mentioned in the prior paragraph. Sometimes in mild ways, stating half-truths like $1 is the only fair price. Sometimes in moderate ways, spreading heinous accusations that he’s a scammer and that his reputation will be tarnished for life. And sometimes in violent ways, with calls for imprisonment and death threats. Of course, this might not represent the majority of people that would like to see this proposal go through. It likely doesn’t. After all, as I outlined on the first point, the proposal allows many people to profit. But what I want to draw attention to is the possibility that this has had an outsized influence over the team’s decision to draft such a proposal. Needless to say, if I hadn’t had a pseudonym, I would not have felt comfortable saying much of what I’ve said in this forum until today. To tribe holders: whatever decision you make, I hope you vote on what you truly find fair, rather than in reaction to the sabotage we’ve witnessed since last Saturday.

Fear is our worst enemy.

I’m aware my call for reflection sounds rhetorical. Like I’m already convinced that the conclusion is that the proposal is not fair. It’s true that I don’t find the proposal fair. But I know I’m in large part responding to my emotional resistance to rewarding what I’ve seen happen since last Saturday. Perhaps I’m misguided by my own anger towards those people. I’ve done my best to argue why I think it’s not fair. Though many people might just see that as a rationalization.

26 Likes

The best option is to set the value to 0.9 for those who want to get out with the least possible loss, all of us who did pre-swap are with the long-term project, but a compensation in TRIBE would be good in a blocked way for a certain time

4 Likes

I agree here. Especially true with ETH moving up aggressively tonight, $0.90 is looking quite low. I’d recommend voting on .95 vs 1 instead.

I may sound crazy, but with the massive inflows of arbitrageurs, I will vote for no redemption at all, unless there can be means to ensure that only genesis block or pre-announcement hodlers of FEI are eligible for the redemption.

7 Likes

0.9 is better. Fei investment should be a risky investment.
The community should know that.

2 Likes

If buy Fei 1$ you must buy TRIBE 3.2 $. Not fair with TRIBE PRESWAP

15 Likes

I am happy to see that the first proposal is quite simple in its nature and straight to the point aims to solve the problem that we all agree is most important. The peg…

A few points:

1. Investors who bought FEI had an understanding that this is an algorithmic stable coin. There were mechanisms that aim to bring the price to the peg. Whether those would work or not, was very hard to tell (the team’s call for one was also wrong), so it is unreasonable to expect an investor to understand/predict the incentives’ effect better than the team. For this I believe these investors should be given the opportunity to exit FEI as a stable coin pegged to 1 usd, just as they entered into it as a stable coin pegged to 1 usd.

2. Preswappers could preswap at any moment during genesis. They didn’t have to preswap in the very beginning. I think it was clear once the pcv went parabolic that preswapping is a bad call. we are not here to reward bad calls since whoever made them is carrying their own responsibility, we are here to find the best way to improve the protocol and return it to stability. Preswappers also bought a governance token whose value is extremely speculative. Absolutely no promises can be made about the value of such a token. That is extremely different from buying a stable coin, be it an algorithmic one.

3. It is in the best interest of the project (this includes TRIBE holders) to let the protocol users out in the right way to get good publicity which is desperately needed now. The users of the protocol are the FEI holders. The project needs to get traction and good inflow of new users, restoring the good name of the project is vital for that. The only way to restore the good name of the project is if it does what it has to do: 1 FEI = 1 USD, not .9 not .95 not 1.01

8 Likes

Very informative read.

First of all, the vulnerability sounds very tricky, could not have thought of it. This just reminds me how many smart people are out there in DeFi, very cool to see the post mortem.

Also, glad the team came through and is starting the governance procedure to let TRIBE holders to decide how to do the reimbursement.

The very act of having the votes will help restore the peg, and the FEI price is coming up as I type. I have a feeling that the darkest moment for Fei has passed and it’s going to get better from here.

9 Likes

why? Can u give some reasons?

I don’t want to see the people involved in the project then get airdrop and dump Fei Tribe, then exit with fei 1u

1 Like

Unfortunately, I think the FUD is a response to the fact that the protocol threatens existing stable coins. As long as it seems successful, there will be FUD.

1$ redemption it is !

2 Likes

I see too much of this division between TRIBE-only and FEI-only, and way too much abuse about the risk taken by some and not by others - we can all appreciate at this point that everyone is taking a risk.

The genesis allowed you to choose the risk you were taking, the way you wanted - that was not all pre-swapped+airdrop vs. all fei+airdrop, it was a scale from 0 to 100%, so that allows a lot of space.

I think those divisions among people who made choices from 0% pre-swapped to 100% pre-swapped is a already factored risk in everyone’s decision at the genesis.

Both extreme of the spectrum have adopted different strategies, and are now fighting each other taking all the space, when clearly both are mostly defending their sel-interest which was a full exposure to the underlying risk of both assets.

One could argue, to be fair (:slight_smile:) that TRIBE “holders” - hmm, we are at day 1 of the protocol but anyway the 100% pre-swap - were clearly betting on the protocol taking instantly a crazy value, FEI holders were thinking of an easy way out with the airdop.

This algorithmic stablecoin, as the genesis event, was not made to favor one over the other but to allow flexibity in genesis investors choices, hence the kind of risk they were the most comfortable with.

The extreme polarization around this 100% pre-swap TRIBE holders starts to intoxicate the debate, as much as the short-term runner, about making the adjustments that a DAO comfortable with diverse coexistent strategies and interests should do.

9 Likes

Great write up. That is why I am proposing the 0.05-0.10 growth fee. The FEI holders can exit with their $1 value but the initial group of preswappers (if you have swapped any amount of TRIBE) can also capture some of this value as it leaves the system. The flow of value goes directly from the speculators to the initial investors with long term vision without leaving the protocol.

1 Like

The idea that passing this proposal will create a fresh start is likely an illusion. The reputational costs for the protocol are already enormous. And people will likely keep complaining even if they exit the protocol at a profit after dumping their airdrop and selling their fei at $1. At least there nothing near a guarantee that the FUD will stop. We will have instead set the precedent that FUD is an effective way of influencing tribe governance.

6 Likes

Spoken like someone who already sold his TRIBE airdrop and now wants out of FEI at no loss. Also on point #2, it was not a bad decision to pre-swap, the bad decision was all the people who aped in the pre-swap on the last day when it was clearly already a negative proposition. But there was no way to un-pre-swap.

1 Like

This is a very well written opinion. Thank you very much for that, I believe it is very useful as it captures quite accurately how many people are feeling. You are just much better with words than most other people.

That being said, I have two issues.

1. You are making arguments based on many assumptions. Biggest one is that people who wanted to exploit the genesis are the people that didn’t preswap. I can tell you that in my case at least this is not true. I had the intention to preswap but decided to wait (not a bad call and everyone had the right to make it), so I saw what happened and didn’t. Now I am an exploiter for being reasonable?! Unless you can get a reasonably accurate estimate of how many people actually tried to exploit the genesis all your arguments that are built on top of dislike of the people that hijacked the project for a quick gain are unfortunately baseless. I actually think that the preswappers were the ones that massively dumped TRIBE be it for panic or hedging reasons. Why am I wrong and you are right?

2. Your arguments are quite emotionally based and that is understandable. Unfortunately, rarely that leads to right business calls. The fact is that the product, FEI stable coin is not working. An obvious fix is allowing it work, that is 1 FEI = 1 USD. Even though TRIBE holders are suffering losses they have purchased a speculative governance token, not a stable coin like the FEI holders. Not exactly the protocol’s fault…

3 Likes

I disagree with $1 reserve stabilization or $0.90 reserve stabilization. In fact, the current FEI holders are those who have not pre-swapped. They just got a free TRIBE airdrop. WE can’t waste your precious PCV for them. PCV must be given for FEI-TRIBE LP providers.

1 Like

To be fair, if I’d known that governance would choose to bail me out a week in with a possible 10-25% upside from selling FEI, I would’ve held onto FEI rather than preswapped, even if my goal to hold tribe for governance and long term speculation had remained unchanged: If this proposal passes at $1, the price of tribe is likely to fall tremendously, allowing those FEI holders that exited at $1 to come back and buy cheap tribe.

I don’t like the division either. But the proposal is inherently divisive.

11 Likes

Yes, I have sold half of it to hedge. Now I am evil because I want to reduce my risk exposure?! No one likes whales, and I am sure whales don’t like bigger whales lol, but not everything bad that happens to you is someone else’s fault. You have a very big action space that you have to use in the best possible way.

2 Likes